Headquarters 310.887.1818
Toll Free 800.820.1111

experience you can trust

Request a free consultation

Fatal Motorcycle Accident Attorney in California

In 2013, 4,381 motorcyclist fatalities occurred in the United States alone. Beginning in the early 1980’s, motorcyclist fatalities were actually on the decline. However, the fatality count began to rise again in 1998, and reached its peak in 2008. In 2009, motorcycle-related fatalities fell by 16%, with only slight increases in the following years. In 2013, the instance of motorcycle-related fatalities decreased sharply again, this time by 7%. Motorcycle accidents resulting in death accounted for 13% of all fatal crashes in 2013. The toll in human suffering from a road  injuries is great, and at BD&J we know the difference a seasoned fatal motorcycle accident attorney in California can make in receiving the compensation you deserve.

Factors in Motocycle Accident Fatalities

When sharing the roadways; there are multiple causal factors involved in California motorcycle accident fatalities, but two are in the lead for crash trends. These are:

  • Lack of a valid license. In 2013, U.S. motorcycle drivers who sustained fatal injury were 17% likelier to be operating their vehicles without a valid motorcycle license than they were in 2011. In the year 2013, 26% of all fatal motorcycle accidents involved inadequately licensed drivers. Without going through the proper steps to obtain a motorcycle license, a driver is not prepared to operate a motorcycle.
  • Alcohol consumption. Of all fatally-injured motorcyclists in 2013, 28% were found to have been intoxicated. These drivers’ blood-alcohol content was at or above 0.08%. Motorcyclists were also significantly more likely to be killed while driving impaired between 9:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. During these hours, 55% of fatally-injured motorcyclists had a blood alcohol content of 0.08% or higher.

Crash Types

In addition to these common causes, the number and types of vehicles involved plays a significant role in the severity of fatal motorcycle accidents in California.

  • Single vs. multiple vehicles. Of the motorcyclist fatalities in 2013, 42% (1,832) involved single-vehicle crashes. The remaining 58% involved multiple vehicles, with 2,549 fatalities. These numbers have remained consistent since the 1980s.
  • Type of vehicle involved. In 2013, 39.6% of fatal motorcycle accidents involved a passenger car, with light trucks following at 37.8%. Other motorcycles come next, causing 11.1% of fatal accidents. Commercial trucks were involved in 8.3%.

As community leaders and well recognized fatal motorcycle accident lawyers in California, we are committed to the best results in every case we take on, and are aggressive in our pursuit of a recovery that will help you and your family move forward after the tragedy of a fatal motorcycle accident in California.

Additional Statistics and Factors

While possessing a valid license and driving sober are staples of a good motorcyclist, factors like age, gender, and time of year correlate to an increase in fatalities.

  • Age. In 2013, 34% of all motorcyclists killed in crashes were over the age of fifty. The next-highest age group to experience a fatal motorcycle crash was 29 or under, accounting for 27% of fatal motorcycle crashes. The group least affected by motorcycle crash fatalities in 2013 were those between the ages of 30 and 39, at only 18%.
  • Gender. An overwhelmingly high percentage of those killed in motorcycle crashes are males. In 2013, 91% of motorcycle-related fatalities were male. Of the females who were killed, 61% were passengers.
  • Most fatal times. Motorcycle fatalities are far more likely to occur during the warmer months. In 2013, 14% of fatal motorcycle wrecks took place in August, with 12% taking place in each June and July.

The least common months for motorcycle fatalities were December, January, and February, with each month contributing only 3% to the overall total. Moreover, 49% of motorcyclist deaths in the United States in 2013 were found to take place on the weekend. Those deaths were much more likely to take place after 6:00 p.m., with a higher correlation of alcohol-related impairment to fatality as compared to those drivers involved in daytime and weekend crashes.

There are ways to avoid these staggering statistics and we recommend you check up on our Tips to Avoid Motorcycle Accidents page for more information.

Speak With A California Fatal Motorcycle Accident Lawyer

Losing a loved one is never easy. If you have been affected by the loss of a motorcyclist and want the compensation you may be entitled to, contact the BD&J Law Firm today to speak with one of our skilled fatal motorcycle accident lawyers today. Our licensed legal staff have extensive experience in dealing with fatal motorcycle accident injuries in California, and we can help you through this difficult time. Contact us toll free on 1.800.820.1111.

Awards & Memberships